Saturday 7 November 2020

Home is following my thoughts

Today we continue with ATajuddin's poems. We have two English ones combined, one titled "Home: an illusion" giving us sections 1 and 4, the other titled "A long journey" giving us the rest. The combination was conceived by me 8/10 or very early 9/10/20, set to music by me (with slight text alterations) on 31/10/20 in the evening, with tweaks on 1/11 and 4/11, and then translated to Chinese starting in the evening of 3/11/20 and going on into the following night, with a tweak (tàiyáng chūxiàn -> tàiyáng lái) as I wrote this draft on 7/11 at 17:27, and another one (zhēn ài wǒ -> zhēn ài nǐ) slightly earlier. At 17:40, I realize I confused 小儿子 with 小孩子, so I fix that. To fill the column, I give the original on the left, and a literal rendition of the Chinese translation on the right. Recording this on 7/11/20 at around 19:40 I change 山顶->高山 and 它们上床之前->上床的时候之前. Let's see it!



Home: an illusion.
Those who love us truly, become our home.
Not the dirt or the rain,
Just the feeling of being loved,
Being treasured and cared for.

A dream has set me on a long long journey:
Wish I knew that I should go so far, so far away,
Where loneliness would be
                [the only jewel to adorn me,
This solitude would be
                [the only feather in my cap.

My thoughts set out ev'ry morning.
When the sun comes to bid me goodbye,
«Until tomorrow», it says:
«Let the moon play your muse tonight».

Just like a little child thinks
                [that the moon follows him,
Thus home is following my thoughts:
Not the bricks or the wood,
Just beautiful,
                [beautiful memories of loved ones,
The meek remembering of them,
                [of them, who are my home.

I see them sparkle as the sun sets,
These mountains gazing at my window.
Before going to their beds,
The little birds sing the last song of the day:
«Until tomorrow», they sing:
«Let the bright stars above
    [be your guests tonight».



家只是幻想:
真爱你的人们就变成家。
不是土,不是雨水,
就是感到人慈爱你,
珍重你而且在乎你。

个梦有送我去很长的旅行:
愿我曾知道我就要去这么遥远,
这种寂寞就是点缀我的唯一的珠宝,
只有这种孤单来让我引以为豪。

我思想每天早上动身。
当太阳来向我告别,
«直到明天»,他告诉我,
«请让月亮做你的缪斯»。

好像小孩子来想像月亮跟随他,
我家这样伴随我思想:
不是砖头,不是木头,
只是好回忆,关于心爱的人的回忆,
谦恭地记得那些人,组成我家的人。

日落之时我看他们闪耀,
望住我的窗口的高山。
上床的时候之前,
小鸟来唱日子结束的歌曲。
«直到明天»,它们唱,
«请让明星今夜做你的客人»。
Home is just an illusion:
The people who truly love you become home.
It's not ground, it's not rainwater,
It's feeling that people love you,
Treasure you and care for you.

A dream has sent me to go on a long journey:
Wish I knew I would go this far,
[And] this loneliness would be
                [the only jewel to adorn me,
[And] only this solitude
                [would make me feel proud.

My thoughts every morning set out.
When the sun bids me goodbye,
«Until tomorrow», he says,
«Let the moon be your muse».

Just like a little child
                [imagines that the moon follows him,
My home thus follows my thought:
It's not bricks, it's not wood,
Just good memories,
                [memories about loved people,
Meekly remembering those people,
                [the people who make up my home.

At the time of sunset I watch them glitter,
The mountaintops that gaze at my window.
Before they go to bed,
The little birds sing the song of the ending day.
«Until tomorrow», they sing
«Let the bright stars
                [be your guests tonight».



Jiā zhǐ shì huànxiǎng:
Zhēn'ài nǐ de rénmen jiù biàn chéng jiā.
Bù shì tǔ, bù shì yǔshuǐ,
Jiù shì gǎndào rén cí'ài nǐ,
Zhēnzhòng nǐ érqiě zàihū nǐ.

Gè mèng yǒu sòng wǒ qù hěn cháng de lǚxíng:
Yuàn wǒ céng zhīdào wǒ jiù yào qù zhème yáoyuǎn,
Zhè zhǒng jìmò jiù shì diǎnzhuì wǒ de wéiyī de zhūbǎo,
Zhǐyǒu zhè zhǒng gūdān lái ràng wǒ yǐn yǐ wéi háo.

Wǒ sīxiǎng měitiān zǎoshang dòngshēn.
Dāng tàiyáng lái xiàng wǒ gàobié,
«Zhídào míngtiān», tā gàosù wǒ,
«Qǐng ràng yuèliang zuò nǐ de móu sī».

Hǎoxiàng xiǎo háizi lái xiǎngxiàng yuèliàng gēnsuí tā,
Wǒ jiā zhèyàng bànsuí wǒ sīxiǎng:
Bù shì zhuāntóu, bù shì mùtou,
Zhǐshì hǎo huíyì, guānyú xīn'ài de rén de huíyì,
Qiāngōng de jìdé nà xiē rén, zǔchéng wǒjiā de rén.

Rìluò zhī shí wǒ kàn tāmen shǎnyào,
Wàng zhù wǒ de chuāngkǒu de gāoshān.
Shàngchuáng de shíhòu zhīqián,
Xiǎo niǎo lái chàng rì zǐ jiéshù de gēqǔ.
«Zhídào míngtiān», tāmen chàng,
«Qǐng ràng míngxīng jīnyè zuò nǐ de kèrén».

No comments:

Post a Comment