Saturday 11 August 2018

Poisonous perfume

What should I do, was the last post's song. For example, what do you do if you find out you've been cheated on? Besides seeking vengeance (possibly spectacular), the only thing left is confronting your significant other about it. And this is exactly what the singer does in today's song, where she found out because of the poisonous perfume (original title 香水有毒 | Xiāngshuǐ yǒu dú) she smelled on him, a trace of the mistress.
This is one of the songs I found out when I already had no time to translate all the songs I met (this one in particular was found in late year 2 of Chinese study, and appears as Y2S157 here), which I liked and memorized, and then decided to translate later on, precisely on Jun 10 2018. For the moment, we only have a translation into English, but since it leaves a centered column I may consider doing another translation in the future. Not on my mind right now though.
But then, in 2022, I started remaking a bunch of translations to put rhymes in, and (quoting IAFI) 「on 2/6/22 13:25-13:~28 I randomly fix some lines of this song to rhyme: «It's not much that I ask you: / Treat me well as you once used to / […] / You let someone else hug you!». I then continue with line 2 at 19:50-19:51 on 4/7/22, starting with «No-one in the world was prettier than me» and finishing with «No girl in the world was prettier than me». Again in a break from work on 11/8/22, at 15:16, seeing there is one line missing to this pre-chorus section, I do «But then you one day told me the same kind of words», and then at 15:17 the version in the intertwining below, which I'm making now on 13/8 as I update this post. Somehow, in that update, I missed the change «Then one day you left me with the same kind of words» -> «But then on one day you told me all the same words», from 11/8/22 23:22.」 Here's a condensed version of the intertwining: «I once loved such a man as always told me / No girl in the world was prettier than me / [Rest of verse] / It's not much that I ask you: / Treat me well as you once used to / But then on one day you told me all the same words / And let someone else hug you! / [Chorus]». 「I then fill in that gap [i.e. translate "rest of verse"] on 24/8/22 at 15:33-15:40», and that's the version you'll see below. The "chorus" gets translated on 5/9/22 16:00-16:10, as I sat through an incomprehensible math lecture by Speedy Spanish Boi, of whose speech I only understand like every third word. And that is it, save for the choice between "honesty" and "purity" at the end of "verse" being made 6/9/22 23:48 as I put the remake here. «No girl in the world / Was prettier than me» then changed first to «That no woman could be prettier than me» at 9:59 on 25/9/22, then to the below version at 10:00. I will place this to the right and the older one to the left, and bye-bye centered column :).
Let's see!


我曾经
爱过这样一个男人
他说我是
世上最美的女人
我为他
保留着那一份天真
关上爱别人的门
也是这个
被我深爱的男人
把我变成
世上最笨的女人
他说的每句话
我都会当真
他说最爱我的纯1

我的要求并不高
待我像从前一样好
可是有一天
你说了同样的话
把别人拥入怀抱

你身上有她的香水味
是我鼻子犯的罪
不该嗅到她的美
擦掉一切陪你睡
你身上有她的香水味
是你赐给的自卑
你要的爱太完美
我永远都学不会

1 这是我翻译的那一版。
别个版本就是
“他说最爱我的唇”。



I once loved
Such a man as always told me
That I was
The greatest beauty in the world,
For him I
Was saving my virginity,
Never would love someone else;
But this man
I was so deeply in love with
Made me into
The most stupid girl there was:
Every word he told me
I would take for true;
He said he loved how pure I was.1

What I’m asking is not much:
Just to treat me as well as once;
Although once, one day,
You said the same kind of words
But went to hug someone else.

And her perfume was all over you:
That’s the crime my nose found out.
Should I not smell her beauty,
Rub all off and sleep with you?
Yea, her perfume was all over you:
This made me feel inferïor.
The love you want is far too good:
Never can I love you so!

1 Another version of the song has
"He said he loved my lips" here.
Why I chose this one, I have no clue, but
it's nice to see that I agree with my past self
over four years later :).
Wǒ céngjīng
Àiguò zhèyàng yī gè nánrén
Tā shuō wǒ shì
Shì shàng zuì měi de nǚrén
Wǒ wèi tā
Bǎoliúzhe nà yī fèn tiānzhēn
Guānshàng ài biérén de mén
Yě shì zhè ge
Bèi wǒ shēn ài de nánrén
Bǎ wǒ biàn chéng
Shì shàng zuì bèn de nǚrén
Tā shuō de měi jù huà
Wǒ dōu huì dàngzhēn
Tā shuō zuì ài wǒ de chún 1

Wǒ de yāoqiú bìng bù gāo
Dài wǒ xiàng cóngqián yīyàng hǎo
Kěshì yǒu yītiān
Nǐ shuōle tóngyàng de huà
Bǎ biérén yōng rù huáibào

Nǐ shēn shàng yǒu tā de xiāngshuǐ wèi
Shì wǒ bízi fàn de zuì
Bù gāi xiù dào tā de měi
Cā diào yīqiè péi nǐ shuì
Nǐ shēn shàng yǒu tā de xiāngshuǐ wèi
Shì nǐ cì gěi de zìbēi
Nǐ yào de ài tài wánměi
Wǒ yǒngyuǎn dōu xué bù huì

1 Zhè shì wǒ fānyì de nà yī bǎn.
Bié gè bǎnběn jiùshì
“Tā shuō zuì ài wǒ de chún”.



I once loved
Such a man as always told me
That no other woman
Was prettier than me
For him I
Kept all the innocence in me,
No loving others for me.
But then this man
That I loved very deeply
Made me the most stupid girl
That that one could see,
Every word he said
I'd believe with certainty,
He said he loved my honesty

It's not much that I ask you:
Treat me well as you once used to
But then on one day
You told me all the same words
And let someone else hug you!

And her perfume was all over you,
'Twas my nose accusing you!
Should I not smell her beaūty,
Brush it off and sleep with you?
Yea, her perfume was all over you,
That's how you gave self-hate to me!
The love you want's too perfect for me:
I can never that perfect be!

1 Another version of the song can be translated to
have "He said he loved those lips of me" here.
I prefer "purity" over "lips", and the translation
"lips of me" isn't that good, hence why this
alternative is hidden in a footnote :).

No comments:

Post a Comment