Friday 17 March 2023

Do you hear the people sing?

Today we have a couple very recent translations. The song is English, it's from Les Misérables the 2016 musical, and it's Do you hear the people sing?. I kind of gave it my own spin by misremembering two little parts of verse 1 :). I have Chinese and Greek for now. Let's hear IAFI:
  1. 「 I will start by quoting a self-message from 23:18 on 7/3/23: «Recently, browsing through old stuff on a Time Machine I last used in 2018, the barricade song from the Les Miserables musical came under my eyes, and unlocked a memory. I'm pretty sure I started a Chinese translation of that. Now, I first saw the musical in 2016, and I'm pretty sure I started the translation in an August orat most September, and if it had been in 2017 or later it would probably be in a translation note, so I'll say August 2016. Now, I can only remember the following: 听到人们唱出吗? / 唱出生气人的歌曲». And that's about it. I believe I did two more lines, but unless I find them in some old file, they're gone.». Later that evening I tried my hand at the following two lines, with a rhyme problem, but now, at 1:00 on 12/3/23, I started over on those lines, and got this: 听到人们唱出吗? / 唱出生气人的歌曲 / 正在把它唱出的人民 / 不想再次做奴隶」; the rest of the story is simple: on 17/3/23 at 0:45 I take it back up, or rather that's when I finally manage to do one new line, and then by 1:13 I'm done, with a couple tweaks the following day; except there's a whole verse I didn't even know existed until I listened to the whole video as I drafted this nearing the midnight between 17 and 18/3, so I guess it's time to finish this off since tomorrow is recording day :); and 23:47-0:09 I complete it; time to do the same with the Greek; on the day of the upload, at 16:23/24, someone comments "崭新的人生" on my video; I only see it at 17:10, and eventually realize it's a good idea to replace 新新的人生 with that;
  2. But first, let's hear IAFI on that one: 「 Let's just go through all the variants of this, shall we? «Τραγουδάν, ακούγεις 'σύ? / Να το τραγούδι των <>» 8/3/23 1:55; «τψν οργόντων(?)», 1:57 same day, with great doubts on its correctness; «Άκουσε! Να, τραγουδάν», 1:57 same day, from a previous idea "<> ακούγεις? Τραγουδάν", to avoid the unmarked question; «Αχ, τραγουδάν OR Αχ το τραγούδι», 1:58, to avoid the double να; «Αχ/Αν ακούγεις? Τραγουδάν», reconstructed same day 1:59, at which point I think Αν ακούγεις, τραγουδάν, / Να το τραγούδι" isn't half bad; «Να, η ωδή των θυμωμένων», same day 11:47; «Τραγουδάν, τ' ακούγεις 'σύ?, 8/3/23 11:45; «Των θυμωμένων την ωδή», 12/3/23 0:53; at which point my final choice is the below, where the diselision of 'sý and the thought of collapsing ούει into one syllable is from 1:07 12/3/23.」 The result is more or less the version below, just that ακούεις and Των θυμωμένων get Kika-fixed; OK, let me see the rest of the story… 13/3/23 1:38-1:50 I complete the first half of the chorus; 12:23-12:36 I complete the chorus, and within that day I have the final version with Kika's approval; verse 1 is from 20:59-21:46 on 16/3/23, and verse 2 is from right now :); specifically 0:15-0:34, with a long long process on the second half; man that final rhyme was so freaking hard…; I sent it to Kika that night, and the next morning she had one correction: Αχ, θα δώσεις τ' όλα εσύ -> Θα τα δώσεις όλα εσύ; 19/3/23 0:14 as I caption the video I make one last tweak: Και του θανάτου εσύ -> Του θανάτου σου εσύ.
That said, we can finally see the lyrics!


[Chorus]
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Will you be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
So join in the fight
That will give you the right
To be free!

[Chorus]

Will you give all you can give
So that our banner may advance
Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs
Will water the meadows
Of France

[Chorus]



副歌:
听到人们唱歌吗?
唱出生气人的歌曲:
正在把它唱出的人民
不要再次做奴隶。
每当感到你的心
来跟着战鼓而跳动
明天一来
就开始了崭新的人生

要否跟我们战斗
而站于我们的目的?
阿在路障之后
有否想看到的天地?
跟我们战斗
得到活得自由
的权利

副歌

要否给你全人生
让我们的旗帜进前?
有人活有人往生:
你要否冒你的风险?
法国的草地
来弄湿
于烈士的血液!



Επωδός·
Τραγουδάν - τ' ακούς εσύ? -
Των οργισμένων την ωδή·
Ενός λαού που πια δεν θά 'ναι σκλάβος
Είν' η μουσική.
Η καρδιά όταν θα χτυπά
Ταιριαστά με τα τύμπανα,
Νέα ζωή θα 'ρθει
Όταν τ' αύρϊο θ' αρχινά!

Σύμμαχος με μας θα είσαι
Σ' αυτήν την σταυροφοριά?
Ο κόσμος που θες, είναι
Πέρα από τ' οδόφραγμα?
Αχ, μάχου μαζί
Μας, κι απόκτησε τη
Λευτεριά!

Επωδός

Θα τα δώσεις όλα εσύ
Να προχωρά το λάβαρο?
Του θανάτου σου εσύ
Θα πάρεις, αχ, τον κίνδυνο?
Και τ' αίμα μας
Θα ξεδιψά
Τα λιβάδια εδώ!
Fùgē:
Tīng dào rénmen chàng gē ma?
Chàng chū shēngqì rén de gēqǔ:
Zhèngzài bǎ tā chàng chū de rénmín
Bù yào zàicì zuò núlì.
Měi dāng gǎndào nǐ de xīn
Lái gēnzhe zhàngǔ ér tiàodòng
Míngtiān yī lái
Jiù kāishǐle zhǎnxīn de rénshēng

Yào fǒu gēn wǒmen zhàndòu
Ér zhàn yú wǒmen de mùdì?
Ā zài lùzhàng zhī hòu
Yǒu fǒu xiǎng kàn dào de tiāndì?
Gēn wǒmen zhàndòu
Dédào huó de zìyóu
De quánlì!

Fùgē

Yào fǒu gěi nǐ quán rénshēng
Ràng wǒmen de qízhì jìnqián?
Yǒu rén huó yǒu rén wǎngshēng:
Nǐ yào fǒu mào nǐ de fēngxiǎn?
Fàguó de cǎodì
Lái nòngshī
Yú lièshì de xiěyè!



Epōdós:
Tragoydán - t' akoýs esý? -
Tōn orgisménōn ti̱n ōdí̱:
Enós laoý poy pia den thá 'në sklávos
Ë́n' i̱ moysikí̱.
I̱ kardiá ótan tha khtypá
Täriastá me ta týmpana,
Néa zōí̱ thá 'rthë
Ótan t' áv̆rïo th' arkhiná!

Sýmmakhos me mas tha ë́sä
S' af̆tí̱n ti̱n stav̆roforiá?
O kósmos poy thes, ë́nä
Péra apó t' odófragma?
Akh, mákhoy mazí
Mas, ki apókti̱se ti̱
Lef̆teriá!

Επωδός

Tha ta dṓsës óla esý
Na prokhōrá to lávaro?
Toy thanátoy soy esý
Tha párës, akh, ton kíndyno?
Kä t' ä́ma mas
Tha xedipsá
Ta livánia edṓ!

No comments:

Post a Comment