Friday 24 March 2023

Random religious translations

In the morning of 21/3/23, I think back to the church hymns I used to sing in Abingdon way back when, and randomly translate two. More specifically, at 10:17 I try to fit the Italian mystery of faith into one tune, and at 10:18-19 I try the same with the Holy. The result of this, and a tweak from 23/3/23 0:32 (changing «Crīsto verrà / Cristo tornerà» to the below), is the below, which is both in text form and in score form. The Holy may be ended with "Che viene nel nome di Dio", which fits the tune in an obvious way.
Then on 26/3/23 at 19:25 I think back to the Santo that gave me the inspiration for the music for «O decus argolicum quin puppim flectis Ulixes» which I then reused for «O mea vita meo in corde vacuum scio esse» (cfr. this post), and randomly translate the first two lines below. I finally come back to this partial thing on 31/3/23, in the afternoon, and complete the thing while writing the score. So I add it below the following night. There may have been some invention in the reproduction of the full hymn, since the only part I know for sure is the first two lines :). If Sibelius would let me make PDFs of the scores, I wouldn't have the horrible quality of the last score :).


Christ has died,
Christ is risen,
Christ will come again!



Holy, holy, holy Lord,
God of power and God of might.
Heaven and Earth, heaven and Earth
Are full of Your glory,
Your power, and might!

Chorus:
Hosanna, hosanna,
Hosanna in the highest heavens!
(twice)

Blessed, blessed is He who comes,
Blessed, blessed is He who comes,
Blessed is He, blessed is He
Who comes in the name of the Lord!

Chorus



Santo, santo, santo
Il Signore Dio dell'universo!
I cieli e la terra
Sono pieni della Tua gloria!
Osanna, osanna
Nell'alto dei cieli!
Benedetto Colui
Che viene nel nome del Signore!
Osanna!
Cristo è morto,
Cristo è risorto,
Cristo ancor verrà!



Sānto, sānto, santo (è) il Signor,
Dïo dell'ūnivērso.
I cieli e la Terra, i cieli e la Terra
Son pieni dellā
Tua glōria!

Rit.:
Osanna, osanna,
Osanna nel più alto dei cieli!
(2v.)

Benedetto Colūi che vien,
Benedetto Colūi che vien,
Benedetto Colui, benedetto Colui
Che viene nel nome del Signor!

Rit.



Holy, holy, holy
Lord God of pōw-er and might!
Heavn an' Earth are full
Of Your glory, Your power and might.
Hosanna, Hosanna
In the highest heavens!
Blessèd, blessèd is He
Who comes in the name of the Lord!
Hosanna…




No comments:

Post a Comment