Friday 20 April 2018

Can I stop loving you?

And if we are parting, another question may spontaneously arise: how do I avoid loving you still, and tormenting myself with the memories of our wonderful affair which is now over? Or in other words, 能否不想你 | Nang4-fau2 bat1 soeng2 nei5? | Can I not love you?, as the song we look at today is titled. This is a Cantonese song encountered shortly after the last post's song, and translated within the same old Summer 2011 into English. Um yeah, that's a typo. I meant 2012. More precisely, the mega-intro dates most of this to 12/8/12, the untranslated part being the second section, minus its last line. I found the manuscript from that date, whose version will be given below and is lacking precisely those lines. The translation, in the form that got to this post, is found complete in the 18/8/12 file. Then I decided to make a rhyming remake. Quoting IAFI: «5/5/22 10:43, to get some rhymes into this translation, I write the first three lines, the other line is from 14/5/22 in the dead of night, the intertwining from the following morning». IAFI is a bit messy on the line division, since the "three lines" are the first 1.5 lines here, while the other line is l. 6 of the division below. On 5/8/22 I then finished it, in a moment where I didn't feel like working on my PhD thesis, between 12:39 and 13:21, and then I went for lunch :). As I add this into the post (I put the remake on the right and the non-rhyming versions on the left), at 14:07 on 6/8/22 I change «In one second, I'm / Back to always      missing thee» first to «In one sec, I'm back / To always […]» and then to the below version. So let's see it!


曾爱上妳      神话故事般美
无奈要放弃      倦了便乏味
而当天的主角      不睬不理
仿佛失声的唱机

# 行李载满      离别伤心空气
门若闭上了      便再会无期
离开一生所爱      仿佛演戏
这幕故事愿忘记

* 让我知      能否不想妳
相恋纵是美      分开多痛悲
woo…
愿我可      真的不想妳
从前热恋      不想再记







纵使掷下万样念头在这地
泪已偷偷涌出心碎预备
转身一刹那
仍始终      想妳
Once I loved U      it was myþically good
You just want to leave      you got tired and bored
The colour of the day      minds not thinks not
X This is like a muted disk => Like a player mute þis is

?
?
?
I want to forget þis fact

Let me know:      Can I nt want U
Alþough love is nice      parting’s such a pain
Woo…
Wish I could      truly nt wnt U
Not remember      of my old love

#

*

*

Though on þis earth I’ve abandond lots o' þoxts,
Tears gushed secretly, heartbreak was prepared
I turn and Just a blink and I
Still always      want you
Once I loved you      it was mythic’lly good
You just want to leave      you got tired and bored
The role you have this day      you don’t care for
I’m like a disc-player mute

You’re baggage’s full      you leave me sad, in pain
You now close the door,      “See ya when I do”,
Leaving a whole life’s love      you seem to feign
I want to forget this fact

Let me know:      Can I not love you?
Although love is nice      parting’s such a pain
Woo…
Wish I could      truly not love you
Not remember      of my old love

#

*

*

Though on this earth I’ve abandoned lots of thoughts,
Tears gushed secretly, heartbreak was prepared
Just a blink and I
Still always      love you
Cang4 ngoi3-soeng5 nei5      san4-waa6-gu3-si6 bun1 mei5
Mou4-noi6 jiu1 fong3-hei3      gyun6-liu5 bin6 fat6-mei6
Ji4 dong1-tin1 dik1 zyu2-gok3      bat1 coi2 bat1 lei5
Fong2-fat1 sat1-sing1 dik1 coeng3-gei1

# Hang6-lei5 zoi3-mun5      lei4-bit6 soeng1-sam1 hung1-hei3
Mun4 joek6 bai3-soeng6-liu5      bin6 zoi3-wui4 mou4-kei1
Lei4-hoi1 jat1-sang1 so2-ngoi3      fong2-fat1 jin2-hei3
Ze2 mok6 gu3-si6 jyun6 mong4-gei3

* Joeng6 ngo5 zi1      nang4 fau2 bat1 soeng2 nei5
Soeng1-lyun2 zung1-si6 mei5      fan1-hoi1 do1 tung3-bei1
Woo…
Jyun6 ngo5 ho2      zan1 dik1 bat1 soeng2 nei5
Cung4-cin4 jit6-lyun2      bat1 soeng2 zoi3 gei3

#

*

*

Zung1-sai2 zaak6-haa5/6 maan6-joeng6 nim6-tau4 zoi6 ze2 dei6
Leoi6 ji5 tau1-tau1 jung2-ceot1 sam1-seoi3 jyu6-bei5
Zyun3-san1 jat1 saat3-naa5
Jing4 ci2-zung1      soeng2 nei5



Once I loved thee,      'twas as good as can be.
Now you want to flee,      bored and tired of me.
Of your lead role today,      there's no care in thee,
I just sit here uselessly…

# You've packed your stuff,      sad and void you leave me.
If you close the door,      I will never see thee!
A lifelong love you leave:      was it real for thee?
I don't want this me-mory!

* I ask thee:      can I not miss thee?
Love's all beaūty,      but it breaks painfully,
Wooooh!
I sure hope      to stop missing thee,
Of this past love      I want no memory!

#

*

*

Though I've left a thousand thoughts I had in me
With abundant tears and heartbreak in me,
Instantly I'm back
To always      missing thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment