Monday 23 April 2018

True love

From the "Ballad of true love", which is the song in the last post, the step to a Shakespeare sonnet about what true love is is indeed very short, and that is why today I bring you Let me not to the marriage of true minds, a sonnet by Shakespeare which I translated to Italian… oh wait, I thought it dated back to like 2009, but it doesn't exist yet! Time to think about it then, on 23/4/18, right? I translated the couplet and the first quatrain around 20:45, then the rest shortly after 22. Let's see!


Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
Ch'io mai al matrimonio delle menti
Ammetta ostacol. Ciò non è amore
Che cambia quando trova cambiamenti,
O lungi va s'è lungi l'amatore.

Oh no! È un segno che sta sempre fisso
Che guarda le tempeste e mai si scuote;
Ad ogni nave in mare guida è desso,
Ignoto nel valor, di altezze note.

Non è giullar del Tempo, pur se gote
E labbra alla sua falce strada fanno;
In ore o mesi non cambia sue note:
Nell'aldilà ugual lo troveranno.

Quando si mostri a me che ciò è sbagliato,
Mai non ho scritto né mai nullo ha amato.

No comments:

Post a Comment