Monday 11 December 2017

Helpless pining

Today we get back to Min, and to the reason for all this desire to move someone we saw in the last three posts. Today's song is called 无奈的相思 | Bô-nāi--ê siunn-si | Helpless pining, and was met and translated in… wait for it… guess… summer 2012 (I knew you knew :) ). This time, no French, because the French was a column filler in the Mandarin song case (left column had characters and English, right column had Pinyin and a gaping hole, that's where French went), but there was no hole in the Min case because I used to transliterate Min songs both into Min Tai-lo and into Mandarin Pinyin (pretty nonsensical now that I think about it), so chars and Pinyin on the left, and Tai-lo and English on the right. The Min spelling is as always the one described here).
When did I do this? Well, the song first appears in the 3/9/12 file, in the version below except for l. 4, cfr. the rest of the intro. The translation is not mentioned in the mega-intro, and the song appears in the 25/8 lyrics file, suggesting I still had to translate it at that dat.
Without the Min dictionary, I originally translated the end of * as "Thin rain falls non-stop / Leaves my heart with one cold squeak". Yep. Nailed it! The fix seems to have happened as I drafted this post, thus presumably on 11/12/17. Apart from the fact 11/12 is a result of Blogger having a different timezone and I actually posted on 12/12, but it's on 29/11 that I drafted this, and made this change between 12:10:54 and 12:11:29.
Also, not sure how I heard "m-m" first, then "nńg-nńg" 软软, "softly", once I had the dictionary. I mean, this doesn't even rhyme, and it's clearly mî-mî, 綿綿, non-stop. Indeed, I even changed the translation to "so soft", apparently again as I drafted this (just before the previous change? I didn't annotate any time for this, and both the quotes from the two endpoints have "so soft"… the change doesn't happen in a file, since the 2017 file still has "non-stop", so I probably did it as I drafted). I promptly undid this edit on 12/9/21 at 0:36.
Let's see this then!


* 孤单坐在窗门边
看见一片茫茫夜港边
小雨落绵绵
滴落心头冷吱吱冰冰

# 酒一杯一杯
一支又一支
只有加添无奈的相思
是我放你去
是我放你去
为何偏偏阁再再次来想你
无奈无奈无奈的相思





(strum) #
* Koo-tuann tsē tsāi thang-mn̂g-pinn
Khuànn-kìnn tsi̍t phiàn bông-bông iā-káng-pinn
Sió-hōo lo̍h mî-mî
Tih lo̍h sim-thâu líng-ki-ki

# Tsiú tsi̍t pue koh tsi̍t pue
Hun tsi̍t ki iū tsi̍t ki
Tsí-ū ka-thiam bô-nāi ê siunn-si
Sī guá pàng lí khì
Sī guá pàng lí khì
Uī-hô phian-phian koh-tsài lâi siūnn lí
Bô-nāi bô-nāi bô-nāi ê siunn-si

*

#

(strum)#


* By the window I sit lone
I look out in such a vast vast night
Thin rain falls non-stop
The drops fall and freeze my heart

# Drink one glass take one more
Smoke on and on, but I
Just make grow my helpless missing you
I now let you go
I now let you go
Why can I still not stop loving you?
Helpless helpless helpless missing you

*

#

(strum) #

No comments:

Post a Comment