Friday 7 December 2018

Fragments of the Divine Comedy

Speaking of "going to heaven and hell", as one of last post's songs ended, we have some fragments of the Divine Comedy today.
  1. We start off with Italian versions of the Latin lines found in some parts of the Divine Comedy. The first tercet was translated on Nov 29 2010, the single line before Dec 21 2010, and the second tercet was first translated as «O figlio mïo, o dall’alto infusa / Grazia di Dio, sì come a te, a cuï / Due volte celestial porta è dischiusa?» no later than Jan 22 2011, then reworked on Aug 26 2012 to the present form, minus the last line, which then read «Due volte fu la porta al ciel dischiusa?» and owes its present form to a reworking from Aug 10 2018 at ~12:02, i.e. while writing this intro. Note that the rhymes of the Latin original were kept in the translation, so that these could effectively be substituted to the originals without ruining the rhyme scheme.
  2. Then, we have the beginning of Hell (4 tercets) in English, dating Jan 29 and Feb 6 2011. Actually, I have a suspicion that 29/1 was supposed to be 29/11, otherwise why would I have «2010/2011» as the year? The file containing those dates and the history of the translation is created 31/1/11 and edited 6/2/11 12:40, so no, 29/1 appears to be right. In fact, an index of poetic translations created 11/1/11 20:40 and edited 22/1/11 18::30 doesn't mark it as "to be made", so… I guess the file with the history is a late copying, and 29/11 is correct? I guess I'll have to investigate further somehow, I don't know how.
  3. Finally, the writing on the door of Hell in English, dating Jan 7 2011 – a file containing them bears that date and the time 12:15 for both creation and editing, and contains the original «Factor» that was then changed to «Maker» in the same file. But that file is a very late copying: the same story is told in the diary at 3/10/10, where it is said «Longissimum poltro, componens: […], cum Gallice vertere nesciam» (I loaf in my bed for a very long time, composing [this translation] since I cannot translate it to French [and also a poem by me]). And here's why I remember a French translation that I never could find: I was unable to make it. Anyway, 19:26 23/8/19, «who're coming in» gets changed first to «who now come in», then to its present form. The latter is thought of also while looking at the files, in the evening of 9/5/21.
Anyways, let's see these translations!


Hosanna, Sanctus Dëus sabaoth,
Superillustrans claritate tüa
Felices ignes horum malacoth!.


In exitu Israël de Ægypto


O sanguis mëus, o superinfusa
Gratïa Deï, sicut tibi cuï
Bis umquam cæli ianüa reclusa?


Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
Mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
Che la diritta via era smarrita.

Ahi quanto a dir qual era è cosa dura
Esta selva selvaggia e aspra e forte
Che nel pensier rinnova la paura!

Tant’è amara che poco è più morte;
Ma per trattar del ben ch’i’ vi trovai,
Dirò de l’altre cose ch’i’ v’ho scorte.

Io non so ben ridir com’io v’entrai,
Tant’era pien di sonno a quel punto
Che la verace via abbandonai.


Per me si va ne la città dolente,
Per me si va ne l’etterno dolore,
Per me si va tra la perduta gente.

Giustizia mosse il mio alto Fattore:
Fecemi la Divina Potestate,
La Somma Sapienza e il Primo Amore.

Dinanzi a me non fuor cose crëate
Se non etterne, e ïo etterna duro:
Lasciate ogne speranza, o voi ch’entrate.
Osanna, Santo Dio dell’universo,
Ch’allumi con soverchia luce tüa
I lieti fochi d’esto regno terso!


Allor ch’uscì Israële dall’Egitto


O sangue mïo, o dall’alto infusa
Grazia di Dio, sì come a te, a cuï
Due volte fu del ciel la porta schiusa?


Right in the middle of our life’s long walk
In found myself in forest dark astray,
For I had lost the right way I’d to walk.

Ah me! How hard it is a thing to say
What was this forest savage, rough and stern,
That in the thought renews fear and dismay.

So bitter, death is little more in turn;
But for to treat of what good I there found,
The rest which I there saw I’ll have you learn.

I can’t well say how I got on its ground,
So full of slumber I was at that point
I left the true way on which I was bound


Through me you go into the city of pain,
Through me you go to pain you’ll ne’er off shove,
Through me you go to people lost, insane.

Justice did make my highest Maker move:
The Divine Might did make my life begin,
And the Wisdom Most High, and the First Love.

Nothing at all did my starting time win
If not eternal, and fore’er I last:
Forsake ye all your hope, who do come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment