Tuesday 28 January 2020

Magic winter

Today we have a Finnish song, Taikatalvi, "Magic winter". There is a kinda funny story behind this. Some 5 years ago, precisely on June 17 2014, a friend of mine shared it, saying it was a "Finnish lullaby" – she probably knew zero Finnish and zero of any Finno-Ugric language back then, and was misled by the "Nightwish" in the title of the video she shared, which presumably referred to a band rather than the song. For some reason, I saved that link in a Google window, and it ended up in some Firefox sessions, whence it resurfaced as I dug up songs for the Chinese songs post. After my experience with Finnish from Wasurenaide, I though of going From Finnish to whatever this time, and tackled both Taikatalvi and Ievan Polkka, which I might translate someday and wrestle with singing, because it's a freaking tongue-twister sung at lightning speed. Besides the "heavy Eastern Savonian dialects", as Wikipedia says, which make it hard even for native Finns, if 100% understandable. Anyways, when you look up kaiho and find it explained as "saudade" on English Wiktionary, you know you have to translate the song to Portuguese, which I did starting between 14:44 and 15:02 on 22/12/19 and finishing between 16:17 and 16:21 (a Skype with my advisor was in between), to then tweak it around 12:45 of 24/12. In the meantime, I'd done the English overnight, around 1:10. Then, between 17:02 and 17:06 on 14/1/20, I throw together an Italian version, with a couple tweaks at 22:26. On 23/6/20 at 15:07 I tweaked «Aqui posso viver el início de uma história» first to «O inicio de uma historia aqui posso viver» and then to «Aqui de uma historia o inicio posso viver», but then I forgot about it, and the below is what ended up in the video. Let's see!



Lapsistain rakkain tää näyttämö on,
Mis kuutamo kujillaan kulkee,
Taipunut havu, kesä hoivassa sen,
Valkomeren niin aavan,
Joka aavekuun siivin
Saapuu mut kotiin noutamaan.

Päällä talvisen maan, hetki kuin ikuisuus,
Mi pienen kissan jaloin luokseni hiipii.
Tääl tarinain lähteellä asua saan,
Mis viulu valtavan kaihon
Ikisäveltään maalaa,
Laulullaan herättää maan.



Of all my children, I most love this scene,
Where the moonlight through alleys goes walking,
A pine branch is curved, as of the summer it takes care,
With the White Sea so open,
Which on wings of a ghost moon
Comes to take me to my home.

On the wintry land, each minute feels like eternity
Sneaks up to me on the paws of a kitten.
I'm allowed to live here at the start of a tale,
A violin painting its eternal tune
Of immense hopeless longing
And waking the world up with its song
Para mim esta cena é o ninho mais amado,
Onde a luna camina p’las ruelas,
Un raminho torto cuida da primavera,
E o Mar Blanco tão aberto
Com as alas da luna
Vem pra trazer-me a casa.

Nesse inverno, um minuto é como uma eternidade
Quem vem a mim sobre patas de gatinho.
Aqui posso viver o início de uma história,
Onde um violino pinta
Sua enorme saudade,
E acorda o mundo com sua canção.



Questa scena il più amato dei bimbi miei è:
Per le strade va in giro la luna,
C'è un ramo piegato, che dell'estate si cura,
C'è il mar Bianco sì aperto,
Che sulle ali della luna
Viene a portarmi a cāsa.

Nella terra invernale, un minuto è un'eternità
Che si avvicina su zampe di gattino.
L'inizio di storie posso vivere qui,
In cui un violino dipinge
La sua enorme nostalgia,
E sveglia il mondo colla sua canzon.

No comments:

Post a Comment